January 18th, 2022

 Hello world,  I had a great day today in my American Literature class. In class today was all about Langston Hughes. We watched two youtube videos, one talking about his legacy and another talking about his famous poem titled "The Negro Speaks of Rivers". In my opinion this is a great body of work that holds lots of meaning behind it. The main point of the poem was Langston explaining the importance of knowing our history as a black person in this world. In this poem Hughes alludes to the black race being the first human race, the race thats been around since the beginning if you will. This is back up in his poem with research proving that in fact, the black race actually was the first race ever. I enjoyed learning about this legendary writer today. I got to learn things about him that I found to be very interesting. Such as, I found out today that Langston Hughes was the first African American writer to be capable of supporting himself through his writing only. Also, I learned that Langston died of cancer and after his death his residence in Harlem became a landmark in America. He did a lot for a black guy who wrote poetry in the 20's. It's even more insane knowing that he was such a well known and great writer while growing in the prime years of segregation. I feel that Langston Hughes inspired plenty of black people around the world with his poetry and "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" is another example of his greatness.

Comments

Popular Posts